Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Adios, Border Beat



Well, the semester isn't officially over, but I am just about checked-out. It was a great run.
I really enjoyed being in a class where I had the freedom to report on anything and everything, within a certain theme - the border. Living in a border state for my four years of college was something I always thought was interesting, but I never took the time to learn about the issues. Being a member of the Border Beat staff allowed me to explore Mexican food, laws, clothes, and everything else. My curiosity persists and I hope to continue researching the border, and I think as of late, a lot of people are interested in the border too.

When Gov. Jan Brewer signed the new immigration bill two weeks ago, I immediately thought of the increase in traffic that Borderbeat.net might get. With more people interested in the border and immigration issues, more online searches are probably conducted. It is important for people to be informed of border issues not just times like this, when a controversial bill is passed, but all of the time. We live mere miles from a third world country, and it is our duty to stay up-to-date on our relations with Mexico.

With that being said, I encourage you to continue reading the Border beat website. I also think that student journalists sometimes produce the best work because they really do have a fresh, un-skewed perspective for the most part.

For some more basic facts about Mexico, the following links may be helpful:

For additional border news websites, check these out:
***And last, but certainly not least: http://borderbeat.net/

I hope you all enjoyed this blog as much as I enjoyed writing it!

Hasta luego,

Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment